Monday, January 13, 2014

When we lift another...

The other day, I watched the following KarmaTube video:


Video from KarmaTube

It is the touching story of a high school football team who, unbeknownst to their coach, organize a very special play on the field. Although they control the ball and are clear to score a touchdown, they stop at the 1-yard line.

I have to spoil the video to explain why they do this: to give one of their teammates, who has a learning disability and who has never scored a touchdown, the opportunity to do so. They form a protective barrier around him at the 1-yard line as he runs across the goal line and scores his first touchdown.

Aside from the incredible act of compassion and love, what caught my attention was the name of the team: the Olivet Eagles. Now, olive trees (tree of peace) and eagles (my totem) hold a special place in my heart, so whenever I see them, especially together, I pay attention. 

I watched the video several times to see if there was a message for me. The Eagles could have easily scored that touchdown themselves. They were at the goal line, their success guaranteed and within reach; but, rather than scoring, they decided to lift another, to give the glory to another, and in so doing, forever changing their lives and the life of the other.

That's a very powerful message. Rather than see others as a hindrance, or perhaps even competition, to my goals, if I conspired to help them succeed -- even though I am already at the goal line and don't need to look back or think of anyone's success but my own -- then not only have I assured my success but theirs as well.

I have then acted from a place of love rather than fear.

I am one step closer to the world of cooperation and reconciliation that I envision.

In lifting another, I have lifted myself.



 

4 comments:

  1. This was a beautiful reminder for me today. - Jasmyne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful insight on how to understand a simple concept that when I help someone, I AM helping myself as well. Inspirational words to follow and heart driven, in gratitude. Blessings <3 <3 <3 Silvia

    ReplyDelete