Wednesday, September 11, 2019

Remembering 9/11

Photo: Andrew Kelly, Reuters

Most of us can recall where we were or what we were doing on this fateful day.
I was in Lebanon, fresh off the Camino, visiting my family after my grandmother’s unexpected passing. I had just come back from a girls’ shopping spree in Beirut and was stepping into the house when my phone rang. My best friend was crying into the phone, trying to explain these attacks in New York, and how I needed to get back to Canada right away because they were closing airports and talking of bombing southern Lebanon.
I went numb and, as I sat watching the news reports, only felt the horror of that moment.
But that day galvanized me, and placed me firmly on the path of action:
I would walk to Jerusalem for peace, and dedicate my every step to peace. Peace within me. Peace in Jerusalem, and beyond.
I reflect on this day often, on how easy it would have been to fall deeper into fear and shut myself off from the world. I saw that same struggle on the faces of so many people.
But I also saw so much grace and dignity, so much love and compassion, so many people refusing to bow to fear and to carry on, choosing to light the way rather than close off into the darkness. If there was to be a gift from this day, that would be it for me.
May all be blessed on this – and every – day.

No comments:

Post a Comment