Thursday, December 24, 2015

Christmas Eve in Bethlehem


This evening is special for so many reasons.

On this day many years ago, Alberto and I arrived in Jerusalem, ending our 5000-km, 13-month pilgrimage for peace from Rome.

We hadn't planned it that way, but there we were the afternoon of Dec. 24, at the doors of the Old City, at Bab-al-Khalil. We would learn that Bethlehem was open that day to pilgrims wishing to celebrate. And it was indeed where we celebrated Christmas Eve.

I have photos and souvenirs from our time there, but this particular nativity holds a place in my heart. It is simple, carved by a local Arab artisan from the woods growing there. It's missing a shepherd or two :-)

But when I look at it, all that emerges is love. A magic transports me to a time and place where I feel the hush and witness the wonder and light that were born that night.

I share with you that wonder and that light, sending its blessings to you and your loved ones on this, and every, holy night.

No comments:

Post a Comment